Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Soccer Mania!

Tavin Celebrating after he made his second goal

Tavin doing his best kicking:)


Our handsome soccer player

We signed Tavin up for soccer this year-I know he is only three but we figured he could try it out and see if he really likes it. If anything he would learn the rules of the game-at least the gist of how soccer is played-and make some friends while doing it. I have to admit I also wanted to sign him up for the comical aspect of it-3 to 4 year old kids running around-it is going to be funny!


Don't worry they didn't let me down: The teams consist of both boys and girls-when the girls get bored they will go sit in a little circle and pick grass or flowers, some of them are talented acrobats that preform somersaults and cartwheels for their audience. The boys with try and climb the goal posts or lay down in front of the ball if worst comes to worst. Most are just there for the treats they get after the game is over. The referee spends most of his time running after the kids that continue to run out of bounds and on to the other fields after he blows his whistle.


The first game we played-the only goal we scored was in the other team's goal-but the kid who scored it was so excited that we cheered him on anyway! Tavin actually surprised me-I didn't think that he would have it in him/or have the attention span-to run for the full hour long game-but he does! He runs his heart out and bed time has become easier since he comes home exhausted:) He has actually been asking me lately if he can lay down and go to sleep-hmmm that is a nice change for once.


He also has proven that he can stick up for himself-a kid pushed him down the other day and he got right back up and bopped him on the head saying: "Don't you push me down!" He is proud to have his dad as the coach of his team-and Dan does a good job helping the less aggressive team players get a chance by holding their hands and running/sometimes dragging them along:)


I am proud to announce that so far Tavin has made 2 goals! The first time he scored he stood in the middle of the field and raised his hands in the air screaming to me: "Mom I won, I won!" I was so happy that he wanted to tell me first-not his team or the spectators but me-his mom:) I felt important and very proud. He is also very loving to his team members-a lot of his teammates and the other team members are from story time at our library or in his Sun Beam Class at church. He makes sure to hug them and help them if they fall down. What a handsome and courteous young man he is:) The thing that I love most about him is his energy and excitement-it is contagious to all those he is around. A person can't but help to smile when watching him.


He also shares with his teammates: when one of this team members stated that his mommy forgot to bring him a drink-Tavin was more than willing to share-they just passed the drink around-building team togetherness and camaraderie I guess:)


Just a funny statement I heard from one of the girls today: So where is the dungeon? she asked her coach-the coach points to the opposite team's goal. And where is my castle she says....the coach points to their teams goal- OK I will bring my ball to my castle! the girl says determined! A good way to teach little girls the basics of soccer:)

No comments: