Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Christmas: Christ and Santa Clause

Katie was more interested in playing in the fake Christmas trees than talking to Santa:)Tavin was very interested in how the reindeer were doing and if Santa could come to our house

Tavin waiting in line to see Santa-VERY excited to meet him!
Tavin playing with our Christmas train once we got everything all set up
He loved that the train made noise/ said "all aboard" as it went around. Next year we will have to get him the "Polar Express" movie to add to our Christmas collection-I am sure he will absolutely love it-since it has a train in it:)
This year Tavin was a lot more aware about what was going on and I really really wanted to help him understand what Christmas was truly about. This involved doing a lot of explaining/talking about Christ and Santa Clause and the rolls they each played. It was hard to find a way to do this without taking away all the "magic of Christmas" so I just tried to make sure that Tavin was involved in the present wrapping and the gift giving, the scripture reading about Jesus and his birth.....but I never really new if he got it.

I shouldn't have ever doubted that my little boy understood during all our discussions...when we were coloring a picture of a Christmas tree and presents Tavin had me draw all sorts of different shaped ornaments on the tree (we are working on learning his shapes) and then he said: "Mommy-what about Jesus, he isn't in the picture." So he directed me as to what to do- Jesus was to go under the tree in his "bed" (a manger). My baby Jesus wasn't very pretty but my heart was glad with the knowledge that Tavin understood that among all the presents and excitement of Santa-there is also a place for Baby Jesus and the importance of his birth. What an appropriate place for him to be-under the tree- as the best gift there could be to all of us!

No comments: