Friday, November 18, 2016

Lessons of a Car Crash and Kind People

I got into a pretty serious car crash Monday Evening...I'm not sharing this for sympathy or attention.... I don't deserve it but that is a lesson for a later time. 
It's actually been a really emotional and hurtful thing for me both physically and mentally. But I just can't get these thoughts off my mind and feel a pressing need to share them for whatever reason that might be:
I was reminded of the raw reality that I am not in invincible, I can be broken. Life can change so quickly....it is a gift not to be taken for granted. Luckily I was wearing my seat belt but I can tell u that a day won't go by that my kids will ever not wear their seat belt again, no matter how short the drive or how annoying it may be to them.
Second, I am so thankful for kind people. There really is so much good if we look around. As I sat dazed after the impact, I turned my head and watched as two men at the intersection got out of their cars and ran toward me. The one who came to my window had long brown curly hair and a bearded face. He was wearing army pants and a baggy sweatshirt. Instantly he began speaking words of comfort and assurance to me. He assured me that I was now his "homie," put out the burning air bag, and leaned in to turn my car off for me. As I bawled he told me it was ok to cry and reminded me not to move. He assured me that the other car passengers were ok when I begged him to check on them, and he called my husband to tell him what had happened. While we waited for the police, fire truck and ambulance, he told me about his wife and two little girls to keep me calm. And once help arrived, he told them all he knew about me and silently stood on the sidewalk with his sweet family watching me as they took my vitals and checked my body. Despite all the disappointment and chaos right now in the world, I am grateful for him I never got his name.
Last, as the paramedics checked my body, they were shocked to find I was ok with minor bumps, bruises, and burns. They cautioned me to take it easy and that I would be sore. Some might say I am lucky, others might call it a coincidence, but I know there is a god who watches over me and protected me. He is aware of me.
As my husband and kids arrived on the scene, the first thing my little Katie said as she hugged me was, " mommy thank goodness Heavenly Father heard our prayers and u are ok." I'm grateful for the kind policemen who entertained them and gave them stickers to help them not be scared. And I am so thankful they were not in the car with me that night. It is bitter sweet of course, my husband held me as I repeatedly told him I was sorry about his car. He replied with, it's just a car, I didn't like it anyway. I am sad for him but grateful for his love, grateful for divine protection, and grateful for good people.


No comments: