Sunday, October 18, 2015

Journey of Becoming a Better Me



The highlight for my weekend was going on....not 1, but 2 dates with Dan:) That is very rare! We went to a cooking class Friday for a work event. I met some of the people he works with while we learned how to cook a Spanish meal called Paella. There were three groups-one made a chicken version, another a vegetarian, and a third a seafood. Dan and I were in the vegetarian group. I actually ended up liking ours the most! The chef lead each group through the steps to make the dish. Then we got to try all of them. Dan was brave and tried a Muscle from the seafood dish-he said the was really slimy and gucky so I decided to skip that:) 

My other date with him was to a REAL soccer game it rained for half the game but we brought 2 blankets so we just  put one over our heads and another over our body and weathered it out-die hard fans I guess:) I liked Dan's attempts to keep me dry. In the end we were both pretty wet.

I have a strong a true believe/faith in the ability of Heavenly Father to help me change to be the best I can be. I also believe that he will reveal to us what areas we need to change in our life to become better-through the Holy Ghost. So after General Conference, I really thought and pondered about what I needed/wanted to change in my life and then I prayed fervently this week for Heavenly Father's help-next I "went to work" -acting on the promptings and moving forward (God cannot direct a parked car) with the commandments and principles I needed to be diligent in for my improvement to come to pass. Day by day-little by little-I try to add on to the little things that make a difference and prioritize the things that really matter. 

In just a few days-I have seen the changes my obedience has brought to pass. I am filled with strength and testimony of these things-and a love for my Heavenly Father for showing me the way. HE HEARS ME-AND HE HEARS YOU. The three things i am working on is: being a better wife, being a happier person, speaking kindly in our home. 

A Better Wife: not be so critical of Daniel and treat him as an equal, refrain from being bossy, sarcastic, or from saying things that don't need to be said. Pray to love him as god loves him, see him as God sees him.  A quote from President Eyering: "Pray for the love which allows you to see the good in your companion. Pray for the love that makes weaknesses and mistakes seem small. Pray for the love to make your companion’s joy your own. Pray for the love to want to lessen the load and soften the sorrows of your companion."



A Happier Person: accentuate the positive in my situation and day. find the positive in others-not be critical but uplifting. Focus on speaking about good things/counting my blessing. pray to see others as God sees them

Speaking Kind words in our home: Use a softer voice, have more patience, let my kids be kids, be more positive in my comments, give more compliments, and speak more gratitude.

My goal this week as I continue to work on these things is to make it to the temple! Also to say prayers morning and night and to continue with scripture reading-try to do it a little earlier so I am not so tired. Ponder what I read.

Tavin and Katie would like to work on their talents this week-soccer, tennis, tumbling, dancing

Speaking of goals- scored a goal in his last soccer game for the fall season:) He was very proud and had a goal dance and everything.

Katie-we have been listening to church music more often and she said " I love to listen to this music in the car-when the music is playing and we are driving, I look out the window and think of Jesus-it makes my heart feel good" I have also been praying for my children to have spiritual experience-i think this counts as one:)

All the kids have been more helpful this week-without complaining-which is the best! Especially Olivia-getting herself dressed in the morning without asking and helping clean the toy room with Katie. She has been a great example to her other siblings by being quick to act when I ask for them to do something or to help. I really appreciate this!!





No comments: