Monday, October 12, 2009

It Was A Race!

I've now experienced the 2 extremes of giving birth! Tavin was a 14 hour labor that started in the middle of the night and I had an epidural. Saturday I had Katie-my contractions started at 3:30pm and she was born after a very cayotic scene at 6:30pm without an Epidural! NOT BY CHOICE! When my contractions started they weren't very strong and so I took a nap:) Then I awoke in uncomfortable aches and so I took a shower. After I got out of the shower, Dan started counting for me to see how long the contractions were and how far apart. They were only 3 minutes apart so off we went, the people we had lined up to watch Tavin weren't home so Tavin got to come to the hospital. We had to walk to the maternity ward and on the way, my water broke-embarrassing I know:) Then I couldn't walk anymore-had to stand against the wall, trying not to look suspicious, while they got a wheel chair. By the time the nurse got me in the room and in bed, I was dilated to an 8 and ready to push. No more Epidural for me. And then, there was the 4 nurses, the screaming down the hall for the doctor to hurry, and them trying to get me to not push. ARE YOU CRAZY! Katie was going to come whether they wanted her to or not. So, as the nurses were discussing what to do, the doc. runs in. By then I am screaming for them to just get hr out Please! I have never felt pain like that in my life and never will choose to again! My whole body was shaking and tingly, and the nurses seemed to be in another world-I could here them but couldn't communicate at that point. I am sure that I was on the verge of fainting and my body almost not functioning. As soon as the doc. cut me, she slipped out. Thank goodness, cause I couldn't push, I was so tired. Not even time for an IV. And, even through all that, I am grateful for the beautiful baby girl. I woke up this morning and was so excited to see her next to me in her bassinett. And, as for the name change, she just looked like a Katie:)

1 comment:

DK said...

I don't know how you did it but she is beautiful!! Good job mommy!! I love you guys!