Friday, November 18, 2016

Be Kind for You don't know what is really going on behind someones Facade

When going through our photos from our recent vacation together I came across these two pictures-very drastically different from one another...the first one, I knew Dan was taking it and we smiled together and the second was taken right after without me knowing.
Background of these photos-both were taken on a day that I have been anticipating for a year. A year ago in July, I had back surgery after blowing multiple disks in my back giving birth to our most recent child. I could hardly walk or stand without pain. A year later, it is time to take the risk of seeing what my body is capable of-something I have been scared of doing ....what if I can't...
We took on an 8 mile round trip hike and were unprepared-not enough water, little food sustenance, heat and humidity not on our side. We made it to a sand beach 2 miles in-if you went another 2 miles there was a beautiful waterfall. I was feeling good at that point and wanted to push for the waterfall. The trail was strenuous and grueling on my body. And in the second photo it shows a candid reality of what I was really feeling and facing. I was done-yet we had 4 miles still to go before I could be done.
I faced dehydration on the last stretch and could hardly walk-feeling like I would faint any minute and wanting to puke around every turn. We learned our lesson-multiple lessons in fact...
BUT most of all, I wanted to show the stark reality of these two photos. Let us all show more love, more compassion, understanding. Don't just judge someone by the smile they can so easily plaster on-take the time to truly understand what is behind it.
"Be kind-for everyone you meet is fighting their own battle that you know nothing about in this journey called life."
The second photo is one of my favorite pictures of the trip-and although it is blurry I will keep it and frame it for the vulnerability and truth that it shows and for the reminder it gives.

No comments: